Self Rescue Clinic for Canoeists
(This document applies to the Vaal River only, can be run on other rivers. )
This course seeks to educate oneself in the necessary rescue strategies for everyday river use. Self Rescue deals with the identification, prevention and rescue in various whitewater hazards, starting with the ability to look after oneself. All paddlers, especially those taking less experienced paddling partners and teammates with them, need to have up-to-date, regular training in Swiftwater Rescue and First Aid
Date and Times 8:00 AM on Saturday or Sunday, it can also be run during the week.
YOU MUST PROVIDE YOUR OWN:
1. Food and cooking utensils (braai facilities provided)
2. Accommodation not provided –Bring tent (optional) and sleeping bag.
3. Personal Whitewater kit: Whitewater specific life jacket (PFD), canoe, whitewater specific helmet, and any paddling gear.
Can hire Equipment from Whitewater Training.
NB: – Equipment, which is not up to standard, will not be allowed!
If you need advice on what kind of equipment to purchase or if you want o buy any kind of gear please let me know ahead of time so that I can bring it with us
The Vaal River below Parys is a perfect representation of the river conditions encountered in Adventure Races. At normal levels rapids are grade 1 to 3, ideal grades for instruction. The training camp will be next to the river. Water, hot showers, power at the campsite and toilets are included in the price.
· R650 – If you have your own rescue equipment, please bring that with.
· Other equipment rental would be at the following prices:
> R40 – PFD
> R20 – Helmet
> R10 – Paddle
· Please note that equipment which is not up to standard will not be allowed.
Please inform us prior to course of your equipment needs, thank you!
Maximum: 16 persons